Home Seniors Crewe Topple Tobermore

Crewe Topple Tobermore

by creweadmin

Crewe travelled to Premier Intermediate side Tobermore United in Round 2 of the Intermediate Cup and claimed another Cup win against higher ranked opposition.

The game started at a frantic pace with both teams searching for goals in an end to end first 15 minutes of the game. Despite many changes to the Crewe side the Glenavy men looked more likely to break the deadlock as Rafferty and Smith both went close as dangerous balls were whipped in from the wings. Crewe were forced into change after 30 minutes as Rafferty was replaced by Paul Brown after an Achilles injury.

As the half progressed Tobermore came into the game more and were dominating the physical contest without creating much in the way of chances. Just as it looked as if the teams would go into the half time break level, Crewe produced the last attack of the half with Paul Brown latching on to a through ball from Dan Smith to rifle into the back of the home net from just outside the box.

Half-time: 0-1

The second half started evenly but it was clear that Tobermore came out to impose themselves on the Crewe side with some agricultural challenges. The referee was struggling to control the game and on the hour mark Kieran O’Connor was dismissed for reacting to a poor decision from the home linesman.

The ten men of Crewe battled on the rest of the half without much possession but carrying threat to the home side when they did get a chance to get the ball down. Tobermore looked threatening from set pieces but Burns, Munroe and McNamee were superb in holding off the attacks and reduced Tobermore to speculative efforts. Eamon Browne in the Crewe goal however made a fantastic save in the 75 minute as he tipped an effort around the post for a corner.

The game looked all but over as Crewe broke away on 89 minutes when Brown took the ball down the Crewe right and delivered an inch perfect cross to find Matty Robinson to nod home from 6 yards out after a great run.

The celebrations were short lived though as after a scramble in the box Tobermore pulled one back though substitute Ciaran Curran. The Crewe side weren’t to be denied however and as Tobermore pushed forward, the ball broke to Dan Smith who lobbed the keeper from all of 40 yards to seal the tie and passage to the next round.

Another fantastic win for Crewe who extended their unbeaten run with their only defeat this season coming back in August against Sirocco in the Steel & Sons Cup. Next up is White City away in the Marshall Cup next Saturday as Crewe will look to progress in the competition they have reached the final of in the past two seasons.

We would also like to thank our sponsors Centum Construction Services and Fairstone NI for what was an enjoyable day out and it was great to see players, managers and sponsors enjoying the win.

0 comment

Related Articles