Crewe Lift The Peace Cup!

Crewe United produced a stunning performance on Saturday evening at Crewe Park to win the Peace Cup against Warrington Town for the first time. The Glenavy men sealed a 3-2 victory in an entertaining encounter.

A minutes silence was held before the game to remember Tim Parry and Jonathan Ball who lost their lives in the Warrington bomb and also those victims of the Summerland Fire disaster in which 2 people from Warrington and 2 from Northern Ireland  lost their lives in 1973.

Crewe started off the game looking nervous as the visitors dominated the opening exchanges. It was no surprise when Warrington took the lead with an untidy goal as despite the best efforts of Conor McCarthy the ball was bundled into the Crewe net.

Crewe came back in a positive manner and began passing the ball well against their semi-professional opponents with Craig Leworthy and Tommy McBride pulling the strings in midfield. Man of the Match Matty Harkin was also causing Warrington all sorts of problems and it was his good run down the right hand side opened up the visitors defence and squared the ball across the six yard line for Mark McCullough to stroke into the open net.

Crewe began to pile on the pressure and after 25 minutes they took the lead as Seamy Moore got his goal scoring for Crewe off the mark as he thundered a header against the crossbar but followed it up to fire into the back of the net to put the Glenavy men ahead.

Warrington came back into the game but Crewe always looked the more likely to score. The Crewe back line also restricted the visitors to long range shots as they struggled to break down the home defence.

Just on the stroke of half time Crewe increased their lead when Leworthy pounced on a loose ball after a set piece to hammer home from 10 yards out. It was what Crewe deserved given the possession and pressure they applied throughout the first half.

Half time: 3-1

As expected the visitors came out all guns blazing in the second period and Corey Wilson made a couple of fine saves for Crewe when called upon. However it wasn’t long before Warrington’s pressure told as Dylan Glass found the net.

Whilst Crewe always looked dangerous on the break there were tiring against the semi pro’s and found it increasingly difficult to retain the ball. The game became more physical as Crewe dug deep to hold on to the lead.

Crewe boss Colin Telford made a few changes to freshen the Crewe legs which seemed to help the home side as they still created chances against Warrington with Seamy Moore again going close with a header that flashed by the post.

In the dying minutes Warrington threw everything at Crewe to try and salvage a draw and sent their keeper up for a corner which nearly cost them as Crewe went close to scoring from the resultant break away. However this night was Crewe’s and they deservedly held on to win the Peace Cup for the first time in their history with a 3-2 victory.

It was a superb performance from Crewe who lost the same fixture heavily last year in Warrington and everyone involved should be proud of the achievement. Crewe would like to thank all the Sponsors who contributed to the weekend and we look forward to defending the title next year in Warrington.

Full Time: 3-2

photo 1

photo 3