Harkin Bags Two As Points Shared

Crewe United and Fivemiletown United served up an entertaining 2-2 under the Crewe Park floodlights last night in the Mid Ulster Intermediate ‘A’ clash.

Crewe United 2 Fivemiletown United 2

This fixture always produces goals and from the start of the game it was clear this encounter would be no different as Crewe hosted the team that finished 3rd last season. After 10 minutes Crewe striker Seamy Moore broke free of the visitors defence and was through on goal. He couldn’t finish the chance off however as he fired at the visiting keeper.

Just 5 minutes later Moore had another opportunity which fell to him as a Tommy McBride shot fell at the big strikers’ feet which produced a good save as Crewe piled on the pressure. Fivemiletown came back into the game and after 25 minutes Ricki Carroll latched on to a through ball from McDowell only for Corey Wilson to produce a good save in the Crewe goal to keep honours even.

After half an hour the deadlock was eventually broken as Sean McAteer slid into a tackle inside the Crewe penalty area but without much contact the referee awarded a penalty to Fivemiletown. The visitor’s talisman Chris McDowell stepped up and coolly slotted home from the spot to put the visitors one up.

This seemed to spur Crewe into action once more and Matty Harkin broke down the Crewe left and neatly finished into the bottom corner just five minutes after Fivemiletown had taken the lead. There was time for more action before the break as on 44 minutes Ricki Carroll again caused problems in the Crewe defence and squared the ball to Ivan Carson to tap in from a yard out.

Crewe could have levelled just before the referee blew his whistle for half time as after some trickery in the box Mark McCullough had his effort cleared off the line by a Fivemiletown defender.

HT: Crewe United 1 Fivemiletown United 2

Crewe came out in the second half all guns blazing to try and force the equaliser. Crewe dominated the possession without creating any clear cut chances. However after 65 minutes a long raking ball from Mick O’Neill at right back the visiting defence were caught napping and Matty Harkin again picked up the pass and finished without any fuss to level things up.

It was all Crewe at this stage and they looked the more dangerous going forward but Fivemiletown were also dangerous on the break but didn’t threaten Corey Wilsons goal.

Both sides tried hard to get the winner but it wasn’t to be and in the end a draw was about the right result over the course of the 90 minutes.

FT: Crewe United 2 Fivemiletown United 2

The first team have no game this Saturday but are back in league action next Tuesday night away to Lower Maze with a 6.30pm ko. The Reserves kick off their season this Saturday with a home match against Armagh City Reserves, 2.15pm kick off and all support is welcomed.